Football Premier League

Huddersfield 0-1 Arsenal: Player ratings, Newcastle 3-0 Chelsea: Player ratings

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang gave Arsene Wenger a good send off as his solitary strike handed Arsenal a 1-0 win over Huddersfield Town in their final Premier League game of the season.
Steve Mounie almost grabbed the lead for the hosts in the third minute with a header inside the box but goalkeeper David Ospina managed to keep his effort out.
Arsene Wenger’s charges were under pressure 20 minutes as the Terriers were attacking mainly on the wings, while the visitors struggled to get going.
However, Sead Kolasinac nearly broke the deadlock for the visitors with a header at the near post but his effort went wide.
Aubameyang got the breakthrough for the Gunners seven minutes before halftime converting Aaron Ramsey’s low cross at the far post.
Wenger’s troops had their swagger back towards the end of the half and took the slender lead into the break.
However, the visitors started to sit deep after the restart, allowing David Wagner’s side possession in their half.
Alex Pritchard nearly levelled matters for the Terriers on the hour-mark with a dipping strike from just outside the box but his effort sailed over the bar.
Wenger’s troops were defended deep with 15 minutes to go as Huddersfield went in search of an equaliser.
Aaron Mooy nearly sealed a point for Huddersfield two minutes before time but his effort powerful effort crashed off the woodwork as the Gunners held on for a point.

Newcastle United ended Chelsea’s UEFA Champions League hopes with a crushing 3-0 victory in the Premier League on Sunday.

Newcastle deservedly went in front as Chris Gayle headed home from close range after Thiabut Courtois’ failure to keep it out in the opening minute.

They went close to a second with Gayle yet again, but on this occasion his effort was slammed wide of the post on 24 minutes.

Newcastle’s appeal for a penalty fell on deaf ears after Ayoze Perez’s shot seemed to have connected with a hand of the opposing players.

Following the interval, a sweeping ball to Perez was hastily cleared by the Blues defence as the Magpies searched for a second.

Chelsea posed little to no threat going forward it came as no surprise to see them go further behind as Perez made no mistake to fire home on 59 minutes.

The third came following a training ground routine which Perez managed to finish off at the back post on 63 minutes to complete his brace.

Despite the best attempts from staging a come back, the Magpies held on for the all-important with Chelsea’s hierarchy all but planning for next season’s Europa League.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *